What we do
The Ministry of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) plays a lead role in helping individuals, family and whānau have healthy, secure and affordable homes that meet their needs.
We want to create thriving communities that connect to the places people live, work, learn and play.
As the Government’s lead advisor on housing and urban development, we’re working to:
- address homelessness
- increase public and private housing supply
- make existing homes warmer and healthier
- make housing affordable for people to rent and buy
- support quality urban development and thriving communities.
Official Information Act requests
The Official Information Act 1982 or (OIA) enables people in New Zealand to make a request for official information held by government agencies, including HUD.
Acts administered by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development
The Ministry of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is responsible for the administration of 10 Acts of Parliament, namely the:
- Home Ownership Savings Act 1974
- Housing Act 1955
- Housing Accords and Special Housing Areas Act 2013
- Housing Assets Transfer Act 1993
- Housing Corporation Act 1974
- Housing Restructuring and Tenancy Matters Act 19921
- Residential Tenancies Act 1986
- Retirement Villages Act 20032
- Riccarton Racecourse Development Enabling Act 2016
- Unit Titles Act 20103
1 Parts 4 and 10 only. Parts 6, 7, 8 and 9 are administered by the Ministry of Social Development.
2 Except section 87(1) whereby the Ministry of Business, Innovation, and Employment is responsible for the employment of the Registrar of Retirement Villages.
3 Except subpart 1 of Part 2 (which is administered by Land Information New Zealand) and subpart 1 of Part 4 (which is administered by the Ministry of Justice).
Partner with us
We're not doing this work alone. We're working closely with:
- other central and local government agencies
- the housing sector
- communities and iwi.
Together we aim to make a positive and lasting difference in the lives of New Zealanders.
Published: June 24, 2019