COVID-19 information

Information and advice for people affected by COVID-19, including individuals and whānau in need of housing support, tenants, landlords and housing and related service providers. Visit our COVID-19 information page

Official Information Act requests

People in New Zealand can request government information (official information), and expect it to be made available, unless there is a good reason to withhold it.

Request information

Under the Official Information Act 1982, a request for official information held by government agencies, including HUD can be made by:

  • New Zealand citizens
  • permanent residents
  • visitors to New Zealand, and
  • body corporates registered or with a place of business in New Zealand.

Before you make a request

Before making a request, we encourage you to check out the information on this website as you may find the information you require is already publicly available.

Te Kawa Mataaho Public Service Commission provide:

Make a request

Requests should include:

  • your name
  • your postal address or preferred email address, and
  • specific details of the information you want.

You can send your request to:

Ministerial Services
Te Tūāpapa Kura Kāinga - Ministry of Housing and Urban Development
PO Box 82
Wellington 6140



How long it will take

We'll acknowledge your request as soon as practical, and respond no later than 20 working days after we receive it.

If we need more time to make a decision about your request (for example, if you are requesting a lot of information), we'll let you know, and provide a specific due date.

How much it costs

Requesting official information is free, although we can charge a reasonable amount if it will take a lot of work to supply the information requested.

There is no charge for the first hour spent on your request, or for the first 20 pages of photocopying.

Withholding information

We may withhold information for specific reasons. If this occurs, we'll explain the reasons why.

For more information refer to sections 6, 9 and 18 of the Official Information Act 1982.

Official Information Act 1982

Complaints procedure

If you're unhappy with our response, contact us in the first instance to see if we can resolve the issue.

You can make a complaint to the Office of the Ombudsman if you:

  • have concerns regarding the decision we made on your request, or
  • are unhappy about the way your request was treated or processed.

The Office of the Ombudsman can investigate and review our decision and may make a recommendation to us if appropriate.

Office of the Ombudsman

Published: May 18, 2020