COVID-19: Information

This page provides information and advice for people affected by COVID-19, including individuals and whānau in need of housing support, tenants, landlords and housing and related service providers.

It also links to other Government sources to help connect you with additional guidance and support.

The information on this page will be kept up to date as new information becomes available.

Information for tenants and landlords

A nationwide freeze on rent increases applied from 26 March to 25 September 2020. Landlords can give rent increase notices to take effect on or after 26 September 2020 subject to the new rent increase rules under the Residential Tenancies Amendment Act 2020 June.

More about rent increases and other rental rules

Supporting housing providers through COVID-19

Housing and related service providers are essential services and play a critical role in supporting some of New Zealand’s most vulnerable individuals and whānau to stay housed.

HUD has published updated guidance for housing and housing support service providers on how to operate safely.

More information for housing providers

Building and construction sector guidance

Find out how to prepare for different COVID-19 alert levels if you’re in the building and construction sector, work for council, retailers and suppliers to the sector, or a homeowner or renter.

MBIE has published updated guidance on what work will be allowed under alert level 1, 2 and 3 for building and construction.

More information about building and construction

Regulation of Community Housing Providers

During COVID-19, the Community Housing Regulatory Authority is taking a flexible approach to monitoring of registered Community Housing Providers. 

More information for Community Housing Providers

Retirement village guidance

The link below provides information for older people who live in a retirement village, their family and whānau, carers, and operators of retirement villages. The page also guides residents and operators to additional sources of information.

Retirement village guidance

Do you urgently need housing or financial support?

Work and Income: If you've been affected by COVID-19, Work and Income may be able to provide financial support. 

Temporary Accommodation Service: Part of the response to the COVID-19 pandemic the Temporary Accommodation Service is working with other government agencies to assist in providing temporary accommodation to those who need it. 

More information and other Government support

Unite against COVID-19: everything you need to know about COVID-19 in one place including health, travel, education, business and community issues.

Unit Title Services: COVID-19 information for unit title owners and tenants

Ministry of Health: latest updates, information and advice

Tenancy Services: COVID-19 information for tenants and landlords

Temporary Accommodation Service: Providing temporary accommodation COVID-19 building and construction sector guidance

Te Puni Kōkiri: COVID-19 information for Māori

Ministry of Justice: guidance on buying and selling property during COVID-19 advice for businesses on how COVID-19 may affect your business

Work and Income: financial support

People First: Easy Read information for the Disabled community about COVID-19

Published: June 3, 2021