Who can get it

You may get an Accommodation Supplement if you:

  • have accommodation costs
  • are aged 16 years or more
  • are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
  • normally live in New Zealand and intend to stay here
  • are not paying rent for a social housing property. Social housing properties are provided by Kāinga Ora (used to be Housing New Zealand) and approved community housing providers.

It also depends on:

  • how much you and your spouse or partner earn
  • any money or assets you and your spouse or partner have.

Find out more about the Accommodation Supplement on the Work and Income website(external link).