Find out how to: 

  • partner with us to deliver public housing 
  • register as a Work and Income supplier  
  • become a registered community housing provider. 

 Our role 

The role of Te Tūāpapa Kura Kāinga - Ministry of Housing and Urban Development is: 

  • market engagement and basic project communication 
  • initial evaluation and selection of partners 
  • providing clarity about sector and industry development objectives. 

Stage 1: Partnership 

This first stage identifies if you're a partner we can work with and if you're ready to do business. We'll also look at your capacity and capability to deliver.  

You can only apply to become a partner once you've received an Invitation to Partner (ITP), which is available on the Government Electronic Tender Service (GETS) website.  

Government Electronic Tender Service(external link). 

The ITP allows you to: 

  • confirm or demonstrate your capability and capacity to supply new housing places or housing-related services, and 
  • join our panel of partnered providers.  

Stage 2: Project funding 

This second stage is for funding for specific schemes or projects. To apply for project funding, you have to have completed stage one first and be on the approved Panel of Providers. Applications from providers not on the panel will be automatically declined.  

Once you're on the panel, you have to fill out the relevant sections of the Application for Funding and the relevant CHP Financial Model spreadsheet (see below). 

Application for Funding Public Housing (DOCX, 149 KB)

CHP Build to Own Model (XLSX, 859 KB)

CHP Build to Lease Model (XLSX, 250 KB)

Value for money 

Applications for funding are evaluated based on a value for money framework, which looks at: 

  • Ability to deliver - is there capacity and capability to deliver the project and add value? 
  • Fit for purpose - is the new housing or service the right type and in the right place to meet demand? 
  • Financial viability - is the project or scheme financially viable for the contract period? 
  • Price - does the proposal compare well against industry benchmarks and offer value for money? 

A full description of the value for money framework is provided in Appendix 2 to the Application for Funding Public Housing.


Register as a Work and Income supplier 

Landlords whose tenants want to have their bond and rent paid directly by Work and Income need to register as a Work and Income supplier. 

Register on the Work and Income website

Become a registered Community Housing Provider (CHP) 

Before you can receive the Income-Related Rent Subsidy (IRRS) to supply housing, you must register with the Community Housing Regulatory Authority (CHRA).

Find out more on the CHRA website