Housing and Budget 2019
Published 30 May 19
Budget 2019 is the Wellbeing Budget. Housing is central to the wellbeing of all New Zealanders, particularly our most vulnerable. There are housing-related items in Budget 2019 that you can read more information about below.
- Budget 2019 will strengthen the Housing First programme in existing high need cities and regions and increase the service to a further 1,044 people and whānau in high need areas. This will raise the total number of people Housing First can help to 2700.
- This funding of $197m is the largest ever government investment in helping the long-term chronically homeless.
- Budget 2019 provides $283m to continue funding and maintaining over 2,800 transitional housing places throughout New Zealand and increase the supply of long-term transitional housing places in areas of highest need.
- These places are still needed to support people and whānau in urgent need of housing while the Government and community provides increase public housing supply over the next four years. Each transitional housing place can support up to four people or whānau every year.
Financial capability services to support Pacific households
- Budget 2019 provides $2.64m over four years to enable Pacific households, to access financial capability services to support them into home ownership.
- Approximately 9,000 Pacific households have sufficient income to potentially service a mortgage. However, raising a deposit and obtaining finance have been identified as the biggest barrier to home ownership for Pacific households.
Housing Support Products
- Budget 2019 increases provision of Housing Support Products to help an additional 2,250 people per year access new housing or sustain their existing accommodation.
- In total, the Government is investing an additional $18.9m over four years to expand provision of existing Housing Support Products, and introducing a new Rent Arrears Assistance product to help at-risk people sustain their housing and avoid homelessness.
- Read the Housing Support Products fact sheet on the HUD website [PDF, 124 KB].