Housing and Budget 2020
Published 14 May 20
The Rōpū of Marutūāhu, Ngāti Whātua and Waiohua-Tāmaki, and the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development, have welcomed the inclusion of the Unitec Residential Development project in the COVID-19 Recovery (Fast-track Consenting) Bill (the Bill). The project is a large-scale housing development opportunity under the Ngā Mana Whenua o Tāmaki Makaurau Collective Treaty redress arrangements.
- The Government will deliver an extra 8,000 new public and transitional homes through Budget 2020, in a move that will stimulate the residential construction sector, create jobs and reduce the housing shortage.
- The additional housing places will be delivered by Kāinga Ora, Community Housing Providers and transitional housing providers.
- Read the Government’s PR on the Beehive website - 8000 more public houses to be delivered(external link)
Funding for Māori Housing
- The Government is also directing $40m towards delivering bespoke outcomes for Māori housing, guided by Te Maihi o te Whare Māori – the Māori and Iwi Housing Innovation (MAIHI) Framework for Action.
- Read the Government’s PR on the Beehive website – More than 900 million to support Māori as we rebuild together(external link)